If you are seeing “can’t use this content” error on PS5, then you are not alone. You may see this error message on your PS5 console mid-game, and you won’t be able to play the game anymore.
The full error message shows “Can’t use this content. cannot connect to the server to verify your license”, even when the game has been purchased.
In some cases, this only happens on a particular game. In some other cases, it may be an issue across multiple games on your console such as GTA, Apex, COD, or even the newer Hogwarts Legacy.
In this guide, I am going to show you some quick and proven ways to fix the issue.
Without any further ado, let’s dive right in!
Can’t Use This Content PS5 Error Fix
You may be seeing this error message on a profile on your console when the game has been actually purchased on another profile.
However, you should still be able to play the game on other profiles that are shared on your console and so the error message shouldn’t be showing.
That said, below are some proven ways to fix it.
1. Restore Licenses on PS5
If are seeing the error message, “can’t use this content” on PS5, there is probably an issue with the licenses for the content. In fact, this is one of the most common reasons.
In such case, you simply need to restore the licenses on your PS5 and you are good to go.
Here’s how to do that:
- Press the PlayStation button on your controller and go to Settings > User and Account > Other > Restore Licenses
- Click on the Restore button
- Wait for the process to be complete. Once done, you will see a message showing “Licenses restored”, click on the ‘OK’ button.
NOTE: If your PS5 says “can’t restore licenses” either because PlayStation network may be temporarily busy or it can’t connect to the PlayStation network, you need to try it again a few times. Also, the license may never be able to restore completely.
Yet, when you try playing the game after, you will no longer see the initial error code (“can’t use this content. can’t connect to the server to verify your license”).
A number of users have reported that their PS5 console never completed the licenses restoration, yet they were able to play the game after.
For some other users, they had to try it 3-5 times before it finally worked.
So, make sure you do this as many times as possible before jumping to the next.
2. Disable and Re-enable Console Sharing and Offline Play
Console sharing and offline play feature is what allows you to purchase a game on a particular profile on your PS5 console, yet be able to play it on other profiles signed in on your console as well.
If you are signed into a profile on your PS5 which you didn’t buy the game on, then you need to go back to the profile where you bought the game, enable console sharing and offline play.
That way, other profiles on the PS5 can access the game.
Also, if you recently reset your password and signed out of your console, the feature will be turned off automatically so that you are not able to share your content.
Even if it is currently enabled, you need to disable it and re-enable it. It’s one of the most common fixes for PS5 error message, “can’t use this content”.
Here’s how to do that:
- Go to Settings > User and Account > Other > Console Sharing and Offline Play
- Click on the option to disable the sharing
- Save the settings. Now, go back and enable the sharing option.
- Once done, you can go back to the other profile and try accessing the game (also make sure that console sharing and offline play is re-enabled on the second profile you are trying to access from).
Now, you should no longer see the error message, “can’t use this content can’t connect to server to verify licenses” on PS5.
If you couldn’t open the console sharing and offline play option or re-enabling it didn’t fix it for you, move to the next step.
3. Sign Out of PSN Account & Sign In Again
Another quick way to fix the error message is to sign out of your PSN account, then log in again.
Here’s how to do that:
- Go to Settings > User and Account > Other > Sign Out
- Once you’ve signed out, you will see a message on the home screen showing that you are not signed in. Click on the sign in button.
- Now, enter your PSN account details or sign in via the alternative methods provided:
Once signed in, try accessing the game again and you shouldn’t see the error message again.
4. Disconnect and Reconnect Internet Connection on PS5
Another very easy way to get rid of the error message is to disconnect and reconnect internet connection on your PS5 console.
- Press the Home button on the controller, press the Options button, and add Network to the quick menu.
- Click Network on the quick menu, and click Network Settings
- While on ‘Connect to the internet option’, Press the ‘X’ button to turn it off. Now, wait for 60 seconds.
- Press the ‘X’ button again to turn it back on.
Go ahead and play the game again, you should no longer see the error message.
Otherwise, take it a step further and restart your network router.
5. Restart or Power Cycle PS5
Another quick way to fix the issue is to restart or power cycle your PS5 console.
In some cases, a simply restart will suffice. In other cases, you need to actually take it a step further and power cycle your console.
I will show you how to do both.
Here’s how to restart your console:
Click on the power icon at the bottom menu of your PS5 home screen, then select the option to restart PS5
Alternatively, you can restart the console using the power button.
- First, press and hold the console’s power button until the white light stops blinking and the console powers off.
- Once it’s off, press the power button again to power on the console
If restarting your console doesn’t get rid of the error message, go ahead and power cycle it.
Here’s how to power cycle your console:
- First, press and hold the console’s power button until the power indicator light stops flashing and the console powers off.
- Remove the power cable from the wall outlet (very important, it’s not a power cycle if you don’t remove the power cable)
- Wait for 30-60 seconds
- Plug the power cable back into the wall outlet and turn it back on.
Now, you should be up and running, and shouldn’t have any issue accessing the games. Otherwise, try restoring licenses one more time as shown earlier after the restart.
6. Test Internet Connection
If you are still seeing the error message, “can’t use this content” on PS5, you need to power an internet connection test.
This works not necessarily because there’s anything with your internet connection, but because your PS5 will also try reconnecting to PlayStation Network as well during the internet connection test.
Here’s how to do that:
- Go to Settings > Network > Connection Status > Test Network Connection
- Click on Start Test
- Once the test is complete, ensure the internet connection and PlayStation Network sign-in status show “successful”.
If there’s any issue with your internet connection, this guide will help you fix the internet speed on your PS5.
7. Ensure the Correct Version of the Game is Selected
If you have selected a different version of the game and not the one you purchased on your primary profile, then you will not be able to access the game no matter what.
For example, you might have purchased the PS5 version of the game while the PS4 version is currently selected to be played on your PS5 console.
In that case, you will continue to see the error message, “can’t use this content. can’t connect to the server to verify your license”.
Here’s how to check the version of game selected game on your PS5 console:
- On the game page, click on the option icon (three dots next to “Play Game” button)
- Click on “Select Version”
- Select the PS5 or PS4 version, depending on which was purchased.
- Now, go ahead and play the game and your PS5 shouldn’t have problem accessing the game.
8. Check PSN Status
There have been issues like this in the past that comes from a downtime in PlayStation network.
Therefore, you need to check if the network is having an general issue.
Here’s how to check if there’s any issue with PlayStation network:
- Go to Settings > Network > Connection Status > View PlayStation Network Status
Alternative, you can check it via a web browser. Here’s how to do that:
- Go to status.playstation.com
- Select your country/region from the dropdown list
- You will see the network status of PlayStation services including the PlayStation store
Ensure all the services are up and running.
NOTE: The test may show that there’s nothing wrong with the network, when in fact it’s coming from PS5.
For example, when Hogwarts Legacy was just launched, there was a lot of users reporting they were unable to access games. Similar things have been seen in the past well.
9. Turn Off Your Console & Try Again Later
If you’ve come this far, done all I’ve explained above and you’re still see the error message, “can’t use this content” on your PS5, then it’s most likely a PlayStation network issue.
In that case, all you can do is wait for SONY to fix the issue.
Just turn off your console, leave it unplugged and try using it again later. You may also contact SONY to report the issue. You can also chat with the online assistant on the website or call the official help line: 1-800-345-7669.
If you found this guide helpful, let me know which of these methods worked for you in the comment section below.