In this guide, I am going to show you 3 quick ways to turn off gameplay recording on PS5 console.
The first 2 methods will show you how to stop PS5 from automatically recording. The third method will show you how to manually stop recording on your PS5 (especially if you don’t know how it started in the first place).
Then, I will show you how to delete already existing recorded videos.
Whether you have the disc or digital edition of the PlayStation 5, the procedures are pretty much the same.
Without any further ado, let’s dive right in!
How to Turn off PS5 Gameplay Recording
First, you need to off the option to save trophy videos. Then, you need to turn off the option to auto-capture challenge videos.
Once both options are disabled, you can also use the create button to manually stop gameplay recording. Finally, I will then show you how to delete already existing recorded videos.
Now, let’s take a look at each step:
1. Turn Off “Save Trophy Videos” Option
PS5 has an auto recording feature, where every time you earn a trophy or complete a challenge, the last 15 or 30 seconds of gameplay leading up to that trophy or challenge is automatically saved in your media gallery.
As you can imagine, this can fill up your PS5 storage space very quickly, and deleting a bunch of clips you might not want every time can be an hassle.
For that or any other reason, you may not want PS5 to record your gameplay and so you want to turn it off.
Follow the steps below to turn off the automatic gameplay recording feature:
- First, go to the Settings by clicking on the gear icon (top right corner of the PS5 home screen)
- Scroll all the way down until you find the ‘Captures and Broadcasts’ option, select it.
- From here, go down to Auto Captures, where you’ll see two options toward the right – Trophies and challenges. Select ‘Trophies’.
- Under Screenshots, click on ‘Save Trophy Screenshots’ and set it to “None”.
- Then, under Video Clips, click on ‘Save Trophy Videos’ and set it to “None” as well.
Once done, you need to now turn off “auto-capture challenge videos”.
2. Turn Off “Auto-capture Challenge Videos”
Now, you need to turn off the option to automatically capture challenge videos.
- To do that, go back to the Auto Captures menu or go to Settings > Captures and Broadcasts > Auto Captures.
- This time around, select ‘Challenges’
- Disable the option to auto-capture challenge videos by pressing the X button which moves the slider to the left.
Once done, you are good to go.
3. Use Create Button to Stop Gameplay Recording
The create button on the PS5 DualSense is what replaced the PS4’s share button. Located toward the left side of the controller right on top of the D-pad, it can be recognized easily by the three lines located above it.
Pressing it takes you to the create menu, something players who like sharing their content must have already seen a bunch of times already.
While this menu can be used to start recording, what some players might not know is that it can also be used to turn off gameplay recording.
If you accidentally pressed the ‘start new recording’ option from the create menu, then opening the create menu again will bring you the ‘stop recording’ option that you can click to instantly turn off gameplay recording on your PS5.
The recording will then be saved in the PS5’s media gallery where you can decide what to do with it.
Now, let me show you how to delete already existing gameplay recordings on your console.
How to Delete Gameplay Recordings on PS5
You might know how to turn off PS5 recording now, but chances are a bunch of gameplay recording clips have already been accumulated.
Your PS5 might even start telling that “there’s no enough storage” when you try to download games or apps.
The best thing to do now would be to delete the clips you don’t want anymore to free up some space on your hard drive.
- To do this, you’ll first have to head to the PS5 home screen (if you aren’t already on it, just press the PS button on your DualSense controller)
- Now, click on the Media Gallery icon.
- From the media gallery, identify the clips or screenshots you want to delete. While highlighting each clip, click on the option button on your PS5 controller.
- In the pop up menu, navigate to delete and click it. When asked for confirmation select delete to completely delete the clip from your PS5’s hard drive.
- NOTE: If you have multiple recordings that you want to delete, then it’ll be much faster to click on select multiple items button in the pop up menu.
- Then select every recording you want to delete. When done, simply click on the delete option toward the right.
Now you know how to turn off PS5 gameplay recording, you should no longer have any issue with automatic recording or with stopping recording using the create menu button on your controller.
If you found this guide helpful, let me know which of these methods did the trick for you in the comment section below.