If you are seeing the error message ‘Something went wrong’ when you are trying to purchase on PlayStation store, download/add content to your library from the PlayStation (PS) Plus collections or pay from a subscription, then you are not alone.
This error message can come up whether you are trying to purchase directly on your PS4 or PS5 console, on the website or even on the app, and it doesn’t matter whether your PlayStation ID is linked to a console or not.
The good news however, is that I have found some proven ways to fix the PS store ‘something went wrong’ error in 2023 permanently, all of which I will share with you in this guide.
Without any further ado, let’s dive right in!
How to Fix PlayStation Store ‘Something Went Wrong’
After spending hours researching online for ways to fix the PlayStation store something went wrong error, I have found 13 fixes reported by various users who had the same issue including restoring licenses on your console, using the PS store directly on console, funding your wallet with a digital card, switching payment methods and many more.
I am sure at least one of them will work for you.
1. Restore Licenses on Console
If you are unable to make payment or confirm payment, or maybe unable to download a game, then restoring licenses on your console can help you fix the issue quickly.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Press the PlayStation button on your controller and go to Settings > User and Account > Other > Restore Licenses
- Click on the Restore button
- Wait for the process to be complete. Once done, you will see a message showing “Licenses restored”, click on the ‘OK’ button.
Once done, you are good to go and should be able to buy and download a game on PlayStation (PS) store or pay for PlayStation Plus subscription.
To fix the PS Store “Something went wrong” error, go to Settings > User and Account > Other > Restore Licenses and click on ‘Restore’ button. Once you see a message showing ‘Licenses restored’, go back to the PlayStation store to make the purchase and it will work.
2. Purchasing using PS Store on Console
Another way to get around the PlayStation store something went wrong error message is to purchase the game directly on your PlayStation 4 or PlayStation 5 console, instead of using the website on your mobile phone or PC or even app payment on mobile.
A lot of users reported that while they kept on seeing the “something went wrong” error message while trying to confirm the purchase on mobile/desktop, they were able to purchase the game on their console without any issue.
That said, go ahead and purchase the game directly on your console if you are having the issue on the PlayStation store website or app. To do that, just click on the PlayStation store icon from your console on the home dashboard.
From there, go ahead and select the game you wish to purchase and you should be good to go.
3. Fund Your Wallet & Pay with Wallet Fund
Another way to fix the something went wrong error PlayStation store is to actually fund your PlayStation wallet first, then use the wallet fund to purchase the game you wish to get.
From what I’ve seen, the same payment method that led to the ‘something went wrong’ error when you try to confirm your purchase will very likely fund your wallet successfully without any issue.
From there, all you need to do is to select your existing wallet fund (which you added first) as the payment method to confirm your order.
Now, here’s how to do that:
- Go to Settings > Users and Accounts
- Select Account > Payment and Subscriptions
- Click on ‘Add Funds’, then select your Debit/Credit card
- Select the amount of fund you wish to add and click on ‘Continue’
NOTE: In some regions, you might be charged some percentage of the total amount when you try to add the fund or when you try to purchase the game. Therefore, if you are trying to purchase a $50 game, you should add $55 to your wallet.
Once you’ve added the fund to your wallet, you can go back to the PlayStation store on your console or on the website/app.
On the page to confirm your payment, select your wallet as the payment method and you will be charged from the balance on your wallet.
That’s it, the purchase should now work on the store.
4. Check Your Debit/Credit Card Information
Another reason why you might be getting the ‘something went wrong’ error while trying to purchase on PlayStation store is incorrect or old credit card information.
If this is your first time trying to make a purchase on PS store using the credit card, then you probably entered the wrong card number and other details.
However, if you used the credit card to purchase on the PlayStation before and it was successful before you started seeing this error, then your card information was obviously correct.
However, you should check again if your credit card is old as the information probably needs to be updated.
- On your console, go to Settings > Users and Accounts > Account > Payment and Subscriptions > Payment Methods
- Click on your credit card > options > Edit. Check all the details you entered and be sure they are correct.
You can also edit and update the credit card details on the app.
You can also access it on the PS store website by clicking on your profile icon and selecting payment management.
Once updated, go back to the store and try to confirm the purchase again.
Alternatively, you can remove the credit card and add it back again.
This has also be proven to fix the ‘unidentified error occurred’ message in similar situations.
5. Try a Different Payment Method
If you’ve been trying to use your credit card to make the payment on the PS store and you are seeing ‘something went wrong’ when you try to confirm the payment, then you should use another payment method.
A lot of users who had this issue were able to fix it by using PayPal as their payment method. While you can also try another credit card if you haven’t already, I totally recommend that you use PayPal.
- To do that on your console, go to Settings > Users and Accounts > Account > Payment and Subscriptions >Payment Methods, click on PayPal
- Then, enter your PayPal account details and click on login.
- Alternatively, you can add it on PlayStation website by clicking on your profile account > ‘Payment management’ > ‘Add Payment Method’ > ‘Add a PayPal account’
Once added, go back and purchase the game or pay for the subscription using PayPal as your payment method.
6. Check the Primary Address on Your PS Account
Another reason why you may see ‘Something went wrong’ on PS store is if the primary address on your PS account does not match the address on your credit card.
Admittedly, some users have said they were able to pay on PS store despite having a different addresses on their PS account and credit card, others said changing the primary address to match that on their credit card fixed the error for them immediately.
You can even see a screenshot where PlayStation replied to a user – “Make sure the country/region of the payment method matches the country/region of the PSN account”
Therefore, check your PSN account primary address on the website, app or on your console and make sure that it matches the address on the credit card you are trying to use for the payment.
- On your console, go to Settings > Users and Accounts > Account > Address
If you are using the app or website, you can your PSN account address under the account settings. Once you update the address to match the one on your credit card, go back to the PlayStation store to purchase, and you shouldn’t see the ‘Something went wrong’ error anymore.
7. Use PlayStation Direct Link
If you are trying to renew your PS Plus subscription or purchase other things and the PlayStation website is showing the ‘Something went wrong’ error, then you can use the direct PlayStation link to access it.
For example, in the United States, the normal PlayStation link is https://www.playstation.com/en-us/. However, the alternative direct link that will fix the issue is https://direct.playstation.com/en-us/.
While both are Sony’s PlayStation websites, the latter (direct.playstation.com/) has helped a lot of users get around the PS ‘Something went wrong’ error message and confirm payments successfully.
If you are not in the United States, you can visit the first URL (without direct prefix) to determine the language and country locator to add at the back of the direct link (e.g en-gb for United Kingdom).
Even though the country may not be listed on the country/language page, you can still find the URL by just adding the right language and country locator.
From the direct website, login to your PSN account. Then, click on the subscription or game you wish to purchase on the website and add it to your cart.
Then, proceed to confirm the payment with you chosen payment method. The payment should be successful, and you shouldn’t see the ‘Something went wrong’ error.
You should also receive an email with a code which you can them redeem on the PlayStation website, on the app (mobile or PC) or on your console.
8. Purchase & Redeem a Digital PSN Card
Another way to fix the PS store ‘something went wrong’ error is to purchase a digital PSN card on trusted third-party websites like Amazon. Once you purchase the gift card, you can then redeem the card on PlayStation website, app or your console.
You can redeem it into your wallet, and use the fund to purchase the game or pay for a subscription later on the PlayStation (PS) store.
- Go to the PlayStation store on your console, click on the option button (3 dots) at the top right corner and select ‘Redeem Codes’
You can also find it under Settings > Users and Accounts > Account > Payment and Subscriptions > Redeem Codes
You can also try using your card again after redeeming the gift card, and see if your card now works. Some users reported that their card started working too immediately they used the gift card.
9. Check PlayStation Store Network Status
In some cases, PlayStation store may not work because there is an issue with PlayStation network. As a result, your card may not work suddenly even though it was working before.
Here’s how to check if there’s any issue with PlayStation network:
- Go to status.playstation.com
- Select your country/region from the dropdown list
- You will see the network status of PlayStation services including the PlayStation store
You can also check it directly from your console.
- Go to Settings > Network > Connection Status > View PlayStation Network Status
If it is up and running (showing an green icon), then there’s no issue with the network status. In that case, move on to the next step.
10. Logout & Login of PS Account
Logging out of your PlayStation account and logging in back can also help fix the issue. Doing this on the app or website will force a reconnection to the PlayStation store.
- Go to Settings > User and Account > Other > Sign Out
- Once you’ve signed out, you will see a message on the home screen showing that you are not signed in. Click on the sign in button.
- Now, enter your PSN account details or sign in via the alternative methods provided:
Also, you can logout of your PlayStation account on your mobile phone or PC. Then, login again to your account and try to make the payment again.
If that fixes the issue for you, great. Otherwise, move on to the next step.
11. Check for Software Update on Console
The PlayStation (PS) store ‘something went wrong’ error just like many other errors can sometimes be fixed by performing a software update on your console. However, this only applies if you are trying to make the purchase on the console of course.
To update the software of your console, follow the procedures below:
- Go to Settings > System
- Select System Software > System Software Update and Settings
- Click on ‘Update Using Internet’
- On the next page, click on ‘Update’ button
- Wait for the update to be installed (don’t turn off your console during the update)
- Once done, your PlayStation 5 console will restart itself
- Now, go back to the PlayStation store and try to make the purchase again and see if that fixes the issue for you.
12. Power Cycle Your Console
If your PS4 or PS5 console already had the latest software version when you tried to update it, then restarting it can help you fix the PlayStation store payment error anyway.
Even better, instead of a simple restart, you can power cycle the console.
Here’s how to power cycle your console:
- First, press and hold the console’s power button until the white light stops blinking and the console powers off.
- Remove the power cable from the wall outlet (very important, it’s not a power cycle if you don’t remove the power cable)
- Wait for 30-60 seconds
- Plug the power cable back into the wall outlet and turn it back on.
- Once turned on, go back to the PlayStation store on your console and you should no longer see the ‘Something went wrong’ error on the PS store.
If that fixes the issue for you, great! Otherwise, let’s move to the next one.
13. Try Again After a Few Minutes
Sometimes, all you have to do is to actually wait for a few minutes, then try again and the “Something went wrong” message on PS store will no longer show. In other words, you will be able to buy the subscription or game using the same payment method you used before.
This is a common experience among PlayStation users who had this issue, which means the network sometimes fails even if the network status website claims that the services are actually up and running.
There has been several reports of the issue coming up suddenly just minutes after making a successful payment with the same card. Then, it works again after waiting for a few minutes without any attempt to fix it by the user.
In addition, I also saw a user who reported that making individual purchases on the PS store helped fixed the ‘Something went wrong’ issue. According to the user, he had two items in the cart, removed one of them, purchased individually and the payment was successful.
So, if you are trying to purchase more than one item on the store at the same time, remove the other item(s) and try to pay for just one at a time. If that works, go ahead and purchase the other item(s) individually too.
Otherwise, just try again after a few minutes and the error while trying to confirm the payment should leave by itself.
The PlayStation (PS) store showing ‘something went wrong’ error message when you try to purchase a game or pay for a subscription is quite a common issue among PlayStation users. This can happen whether you are using the PS app, PlayStation website or even on your console. In some cases, it may also show the WS-113947-5 error or ‘unidentified error occurred’ message.
You can fix the PlayStation network ‘something went wrong’ issue by doing the following:
- Restore content licenses on your console
- Purchase directly on PS store on console instead of website or app
- Fund your wallet and pay using the wallet fund
- Check and update your debit/credit card information
- Try a different payment method e.g PayPal instead of credit card
- Make sure primary address on your PS account matches the address on your credit card
- Use PlayStation direct link for payment
- Purchase and redeem a digital PSN card or gift card
- Check PlayStation store network status to make sure it’s actually working
- Logout from your PS account, login and retry the payment
- Update your console to the latest software version, then try the payment again
- Restart or power cycle your console
Try making the purchase again after a few minutes in case of network glitch
If you found this guide helpful, kindly use the comment section below. Also, let me know which of these methods worked for you.