If your Onn Roku TV remote is not working or the TV response to the remote is very slow/delayed and you can’t seem to find a way to fix it, then you are not alone.
In some cases, you may be having issues with all the buttons on the remote. In other cases, it may only be with select buttons like the volume button, navigation (up, down, right or left button), home button, settings button or the select (OK) button.
In this guide, I am going to show you some very quick and proven ways to fix a Onn Roku TV remote that is not working in 2023.
Without any further ado, let’s dive right in!
Onn Roku TV Remote Not Working
To fix a Onn Roku TV remote that is not working, you need to reset the TV remote, fix stuck buttons, power cycle the TV, replace the batteries in the remote controller, clean the remote batteries or fix IR signal interference issues.
When your Onn Roku TV remote won’t work, the issue could be coming either from the remote controller or even the TV itself. Now, let’s at some proven methods to fix the issue.
1. Reset Your TV Remote & Fix Stuck Buttons
Another reason why your Onn Roku TV won’t turn on with remote is due to unresponsive remote is due to unresponsive remote when excess charge build up overtime in the circuit of the remote controller.
What you need to do in such case is to simply drain the excess charge on your TV remote controller (which is quite very easy to do).
Just like the way you can power reset (or soft reset) your TV, you can also do something similar to your remote controller.
I know it will sound too simple to be true, but trust me, this will fix the issue for most people that can’t get their Onn Roku TV to turn on.
That said, here’s how to reset your TV remote and fix stuck buttons:
- Remove the batteries in your remote controller
- With the batteries still removed, press power button for 15 seconds on your remote controller
- Now, press every button on your remote controller repeatedly so that any stuck button is freed. Just keep pressing the buttons as much as much as possible.
- Also, hit the remote against your palm a number of times (trust me, the old trick still works!)
- Put the batteries back into the remote
Repeat all the steps over again as much as 5 times if needed until it works. If it doesn’t fix the issue for you after multiple tries, move on to the next step.
Once done, you may also connect the Onn Roku TV remote app on your phone to the TV. You can use it as a second option in case this happens again.
2. Power Cycle Your TV
A simple power cycle can fix many issues on your Onn Roku TV, including when the remote won’t work at all or the TV is just slow to respond.
That said, here’s how to power cycle your TV quickly:
- While your Onn Roku TV is on, unplug it directly from the power outlet
- Leave it unplugged for 30 seconds
- While waiting, press and hold the power button on your TV for 30 second
- Plug the TV back into the power source
- Now, try using your Onn Roku TV remote again and it should be working just fine.
This process is also called soft reset, and it is quite different from just simply restarting the TV.
The reason why the method works is because power cycling your TV will remove the excess charge that has built up on your TV overtime which can cause it to be totally unresponsive to the remote or have a slow response.
3. Replace Batteries in Remote
If your Onn Roku TV remote isn’t working, the batteries in the remote might be weak. In that case, you need to change it.
Go ahead and change the batteries in the TV remote control with 2 new AA batteries. Once done, go ahead and try it again.
If that fixes your issue and your remote starts working, great! Otherwise, move to the next step.
4. Open and Clean the TV Remote
If you have reset the remote and your Onn Roku TV remote still won’t work, then there is probably too much dust inside your remote.
As dust accumulates in your TV remote overtime, it can lead to lack of proper connection to get your TV remote to work properly.
What you need to do is simple.
- First, remove the batteries from your remote controller
- Get a screwdriver and remove the screws
- Open it up
- Wipe and blow any dust inside it
- Close it up, then put the batteries back in
Once done, the remote should start working.
5. Fix IR Interference Issues
If there is anything interfering with the signal from the remote to the TV, then it may cause the remote not to work. In that case, you need to resolve the interference issue.
You need to check if the issue is coming from your remote or TV. Here’s how to do that:
- Point your TV remote to your phone while the camera app is open
- Click on any of the buttons and look at your phone screen.
- Try to observe the emitter in front of the remote control and see if you can notice the light flashing.
- If the light flashes, that it indicates that the remote controller is working and the TV may be defective. Otherwise, the remote controller may be defective and needs replacement.
If you have tried all of this procedures and still can’t get your Onn Roku TV remote to work, the only thing left is to get a replacement remote controller.
That is all for now. If you found this guide helpful, kindly use the comment section below to share your feedback.