If you have a black screen on Disney Plus when you try to login and stream contents on your laptop or phone either on the website with a browser like Chrome or through the app, then you are not alone.
In this guide, I am going to show you some proven ways to fix Disney Plus black screen issue on the website or login page or if you are using using the app on your laptop or phone.
So, if that sounds like what you are looking for, let’s dive right in.
Why Is Disney Plus Showing a Black Screen?
Disney Plus black screen on the website or app can be caused by a number of things like poor network connection, DNS configuration, browser extensions and ad blockers, browser cache and cookie files, use of VPNs and blocked IP due to suspicious activities.
Now, let’s look at some proven ways to fix this.
How to Fix Disney Plus Black Screen
Below are some proven methods to fix the black screen issue on Disney Plus website or app in 2023.
1. Check Internet Speed
Slow internet connection or an inconsistent connection can impact streaming and cause Disney Plus to show a black screen. For the best possible experience while streaming on Disney+, the recommended speed is 5.0 Mbps for High Definition content and 25.0 Mbps for 4K UHD content.
Therefore, you need to check your internet speed to see if it is fast enough. You can do that by simply visiting fast.com.
If your network speed is fast enough, then move to the next step. Otherwise, your Disney Plus might just be stuck on loading screen without showing any content.
In that case, here are a few things you can do:
- Restart your network router
- Switch to a faster network connection
- Use a dual-band router, and switch to the 5.0GHz band
- Switch to hardwired ethernet connection instead of Wi-Fi
- Restart your device i.e phone, PC, smart TV or streaming stick
Now, try to login again to Disney Plus on the website and see if the issue has been fixed. If not, move on to the next step.
2. Change DNS Server in Network Settings
Another way to fix Disney Plus black screen is to change your DNS server in network settings. In this case, you need to switch the primary and secondary DNS servers to Google’s IP addresses.
You can do this directly on your router, on your computer or phone. In most cases, changing your DNS server on the router will do the trick. However, if it doesn’t or you are not connected to a router, then you need to change it directly on your computer or phone. Therefore, I will show you how to do it on all devices.
Changing DNS Server on Router:
- While connected to your network router, access your router dashboard by visiting the login URL. You can find this on the router manual or on your router. Some of the links can be found below:
- Linksys – http://192.168.1.1
- D-Link/Netgear – http://192.168.0.1
- Belkin – http://192.168.2.1
- ASUS – http://192.168.1.1/
- AT&T U-verse – http://192.168.1.254
- Comcast – http://10.0.0.1
- Depending on the manufacturer of the router, look for DNS settings on the web interface. If you are having trouble finding the DNS server settings, check the router’s manual or search on Google for how to change DNS server for your router’s brand.
- Under DNS server 1 (or primary DNS), input 126.96.36.199
- Under DNS server 2 (or secondary DNS), input 188.8.131.52
- If there are options to input DNS server 3 and 4, leave them empty
- Save the settings
Now, try to access Disney Plus login page on the website, and you should no longer see a black screen.
Changing DNS Server on Windows PC:
If you are trying to access Disney Plus using Chrome browser or the app on your Windows PC and you are seeing a black screen, then you can also fix it by changing the primary DNS server to 184.108.40.206 and secondary DNS server to 220.127.116.11 on your Windows PC.
Here’s how to do that:
- Go to Control Panel > View network status and task
- Click on the connected network
- Select ‘Properties’
- Double click on ‘Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)’
- Now, tick the box that shows ‘use the following DNS server addresses’. Next, enter 18.104.22.168 under ‘Preferred DNS server’, and 22.214.171.124 under ‘Alternative DNS server’
- Click on ‘OK’ to save it.
Now, go ahead and try to login to Disney Plus website and the black screen should be fixed.
Changing DNS Server on Mac OS:
If you are wondering why Disney Plus isn’t working on your Mac, then it could be the DNS server. In that case, you need to change it to Google’s DNS.
- To change DNS server on your Mac, go to Apple menu > System Preferences
- Click on Network
- Select the network service you are connected to in the list, then click on ‘Advanced’
- Switch to the DNS tab.
- If there’s a lock at the bottom left of the Network pane, click it to unlock the preference pane.
- Click the Add button at the bottom of the DNS servers list. Enter 126.96.36.199 on the first line and 188.8.131.52 on the second line.
- Click on ‘OK’ button, then ‘Apply’
Changing DNS Server on Samsung TV:
- Go to Settings with your Samsung TV remote controller.
- From the settings page, click on the General tab
- Click on Network
- Next, select Network Status
- Under your connected network, click on IP Settings
- Select the option to set DNS manually
- Finally, edit the DNS Server and change it to 184.108.40.206
- Finally, click on OK button
- Wait for it to be reconnected to the new DNS server and then restart your smart TV.
Changing DNS Server on LG Smart TV:
- Press the Home/Start button on your LG TV remote to show the launcher bar
- Click the Settings icon at the top right corner
- Click All Settings option at the bottom right corner
- Click on Network from the left bar options
- Select any of the networks that you are currently connected to (either wireless Wi-Fi network or wired ethernet network). The network must be showing connected to the internet at this point.
- Now, we will edit the network settings.
- Uncheck the option that says Set Automatically
- Then, edit the DNS Server and change it to 220.127.116.11
- Click on Connect
Wait for it to be reconnected to the new DNS server and then restart your smart TV.
Changing DNS Server on Vizio TV:
- Click on the Menu button on your TV remote and go to Network > Manual Setup.
- Under Pref. DNS server, enter 18.104.22.168
- Under Alt. DNS server, enter 22.214.171.124
- Click on ‘Save’ check the network connection again.
Also, you can do the same thing on your Android or iPhone.
Once done, open up the Disney Plus app or try to login on the website and the black screen should no longer show.
3. Turn Off VPN
If you are using a proxy or VPN to access Disney Plus, then it may be stuck on a black screen.
This can be VPN in the browser, or VPN used directly on the network router.
You simply need to turn it off. Once done, try to login and stream on Disney+ website or app again, and it should start loading normally now.
4. Turn Off Ads Blocker & Browser Extensions
Another reason why you may see black screen on Disney Plus on Chrome or any other browser is use of ads blocker.
If you have an ad blocker like uBlock origin on your Chrome browser, then you need to disable it. Alternatively, you can also turn it off alone for just Disney Plus website.
If you also have other browser extensions that you think might affect the loading of Disney+ contents, disable or remove it from your browser. Here’s how to do that on Google Chrome and Safari browser:
On Google Chrome
- Click on the menu button (3 dots at the top right corner of your browser)
- Go to More Tools >> Extensions
- If you find any extension suspicious, click on the Remove button.
On Safari Browser
- Click on Safari from your top menu bar
- Next, click on Preferences…
- Switch to the Extensions tab
Unless you have added an extension intentionally in the past, your extension list should be empty as seen in the image above.
Otherwise, go ahead and remove any unusual extension on the tab page.
5. Clear Browsers Cache and Cookies
If you have corrupt cache files still saved on your browser, it may cause you to see a black screen on the Disney Plus login page or while trying to open a content to stream. In that case, you need to clear the cache and cookies.
On Chromium Browsers
Chrome browsers include Chrome, Firefox, Opera mini, Brave e.t.c. Here’s how to clear your cache and cookies:
- Go to Settings > History, or press CTRL + H on your Windows keyboard (CMD + H on MacOS)
- Click on ‘Clear browser data’
Once cleared, login back to your Disney Plus account and see if the black screen issue has been resolved.
On Safari Browser
Follow the procedures below clear your history and cache on Safari browser:
- Click on Safari > Clear History…
- Select a range (preferably All history)
- Click on Clear history
Once done, the Disney Plus black screen issue should be fixed.
6. Check Disney Plus Server
Although not common, Disney Plus streaming server can be down sometime. In such instances, the issue is a general one from their servers and is not specific to you. When this happens, you might experience a black screen.
In some cases like this, the support team may post an update on their social media handle like the one below.
So, go ahead and check if there’s any such update on their social media handles (Twitter and Facebook).
In other cases, the server could be down and no such update will be posted. So, how do you know in such cases?
There is an online tool you can use to check if Disney Plus server is down (whether globally or only in certain locations). Click here to check it on down detector.
7. Logout & Re-login to Disney+ Account
The title explains itself, so there isn’t much to say here again. However, this applies only those users that were able to login before seeing the black screen. If you are seeing the black screen on the login page, skip to the next step.
- Log out of your Disney+ account if you are already logged in.
- Visit Disney Plus login page – https://www.disneyplus.com/login
- Enter your email address and click on ‘Continue’
- Then, enter your password and click on ‘Sign in’ button
NOTE: Although some Disney+ subscriptions allow up to 4 different devices, if you have Disney+ signed in on other devices and are actively in use, log out from those other devices or at least make sure they are not being used actively at the same time you are trying to access a content.
You can also sign out other devices on your account dashboard.
8. Reset Your Browser
If you are still experiencing Disney Plus black screen when you try to access the website with a browser like Google Chrome, then you can try resetting the browser.
Here’s how to do that on Google Chrome:
NOTE: This will totally reset your Google Chrome browser, removing your extensions, clearing your cache, history, saved passwords and many more settings. Once done, you will need to re-login to your Disney Plus account and every other account that was saved to your browser.
- From the Chrome browser menu, click on Settings
- Click and toggle down the Advanced settings option
- Click on Reset Settings and confirm it
- Click Restore settings to their original defaults
- Click on Reset button
- Now, go ahead and login to your Disney Plus account from the browser, and you are good to go.
9. Login From a Different Device/Browser
In some cases, the black screen issue you are having might be specific to just your browser or the device you are trying to access it on.
For example, your IP address might have been blocked or flagged for suspicious login activity.
If you are using any browser other than Chrome, try to access the website using Chrome browser on your PC. If you still have the issue, try to access it on your tablet or mobile phone.
Also, check if you have the latest version of your browser on your phone or PC, and if not, update the browser to the latest version.
That way, you can narrow down the issue in the case where it is specific to a browser or device. Otherwise, then you know it’s a general issue.
10. Clear the App Data on Phone
If you are experiencing Disney+ black screen on your Android or iPhone, it may be due to corrupt cache files or data. In that case, you need to clear these files from your phone before trying to access Disney+ again.
- Open Settings and click on Apps.
- Look for Disney Plus on the list of installed applications on your device and select it.
- Select on Storage and click ‘Clear Data’ and ‘Clear Cache’.
- Open Settings
- Tap your name/device name
- Select iCloud
- Select ‘Manage Storage’
- Look for the Disney Plus app, click on it.
- Click on ‘Delete Data’, then click on ‘Delete’ to confirm.
Once done, open the app again and try to login. That should fix the black screen issue.
11. Update Disney+ App
This only applies if you are trying to watch Disney Plus contents using the app. If you are trying to access the website instead, you may skip this. However, I will advise you to try using the app if you don’t have it.
Like many software apps, Disney Plus app becomes outdated with time and the team releases new versions usually with improvements while also fixing bugs in the older versions.
Therefore, if you are seeing a black screen, go ahead and update the app on your Android or iOS phone on Google Play store or Apple store respectively.
If you installed the app on your Windows PC, download the latest version of the software on Microsoft store.
Once updated, you shouldn’t have any issue accessing contents on Disney Plus again. Alternatively, you can totally remove your installed Disney Plus app and re-install a new version afresh.
12. Try to Watch Another Show
In some cases, the black screen on Disney Plus might be specific to a particular show you are trying to watch. Therefore, try to close the content you are trying to watch and try accessing another content on Disney+ instead.
If you don’t experience any issue while trying to access other contents, then you know it’s specific to the show/movie you are trying to watch. Otherwise, it’s a general issue.
In case of the latter, then there’s only one thing you can do.
13. Report to Disney Plus Support
If you’ve followed all the tips above, then you should no longer be seeing a black screen on Disney Plus website or app. However, if the issue still persists, then you need to contact Disney Plus to report the issue.
You can contact Disney Plus on their official support/help page here.
Disney+ black screen is quite a common issue, and you can experience it whether you are trying to use the app or the website to access their content library.
A number of things can be responsible for this issue such as slow internet connection, DNS configuration, use of VPN or proxy and ad blockers, some browser extensions, corrupt cache files, outdated software, browser specific issues or even downtime on Disney+ server.
By following the tips in this guide, you should be able to fix the issue once and for all.
If you found this guide helpful, let me know which of these methods worked for you in the comment section.