Disney+ library contains a lot of interesting TV series, movies and originals from Disney Channel, National Geographic, Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar, Star and more. Among many other supported devices, Disney+ contents can also be streamed on your Macbook.
If you are trying to stream Disney Plus on your Macbook and it’s not working, then this guide is for you.
On this page, I am going to discuss two things:
- Why Disney Plus is not working on your Macbook
- How to fix the issue quickly on your Macbook Pro or Air
Without any further ado, let’s dive right in!
Table of Contents
Why Isn’t Disney Plus Working on Macbook?
If Disney Plus is not working on your Macbook, it can be due to slow internet connection, DNS configuration, use of VPN or proxy, use of ad blockers, some browser extensions, corrupt cache files, browser specific issues or even downtime on Disney Plus server.
To fix this, you just need to troubleshoot each of these potential issues one after the other.
That said, let’s take a look at how to fix it quickly in 2023.
How to Fix Disney Plus Not Working on Macbook
You can make Disney Plus app on your Macbook by checking your internet speed, changing your Macbook DNS server to a fast public DNS server, turning off ad blockers and VPN, clearing browser cache files and cookies, updating Disney+ app on Apple store or switching to a different web browser.
1. Check Internet Speed
Slow internet connection or an inconsistent connection can impact streaming and cause Disney Plus not to work on your Macbook Pro or Air. According to Disney, the recommended speed for the best experience is 5.0 Mbps for High Definition content and 25.0 Mbps for 4K UHD content while streaming the content library.
Therefore, you need to check your internet speed to see if it is fast enough. You can do that by simply visiting fast.com.
If the network speed is not fast enough on your Macbook, then Disney Plus might not load. In that case, here are a few things you can do:
- Restart your network router
- Switch to a faster network connection
- Use a dual-band router, and switch to the 5.0GHz band
- Switch to hardwired ethernet connection instead of Wi-Fi
Now, try to login again to Disney Plus on the website and see if the issue has been fixed. If Disney Plus is still not working on your Mac, move on to the next step.
2. Change DNS Server in Network Settings
In my experiencing, a lot of network issues when it comes to streaming content can be fixed by changing the DNS server. Usually, your DNS server is determined by the router on which your laptop is configured. This is usually provided by your Internet Service Provider (ISP).
The problem with this however, is that the DNS server is usually slower than some other alternative ones. What you can do to is to simply change your DNS server to a fast public DNS server. One common example is Google’s public DNS servers which is very fast and reliable.
There are two ways to change your DNS server:
- You can change it directly on your router dashboard
- You can also change it on under the network settings on your Macbook
You can simply change it on both records as I will show you now.
Changing DNS Server on Router:
- While connected to your network router, access your router dashboard by visiting the login URL. You can find this on the router manual or on your router. Some of the links can be found below:
- Linksys – http://192.168.1.1
- D-Link/Netgear – http://192.168.0.1
- Belkin – http://192.168.2.1
- ASUS – http://192.168.1.1/
- AT&T U-verse – http://192.168.1.254
- Comcast – http://10.0.0.1
- Depending on the manufacturer of the router, look for DNS settings on the web interface. If you are having trouble finding the DNS server settings, check the router’s manual or search on Google for how to change DNS server for your router’s brand.
- Under DNS server 1 (or primary DNS), input 188.8.131.52
- Under DNS server 2 (or secondary DNS), input 184.108.40.206
- If there are options to input DNS server 3 and 4, leave them empty
- Save the settings
Changing DNS Server on Mac OS:
If you are wondering why Disney Plus isn’t working on your Mac, then it could be the DNS server. In that case, you need to change it to Google’s DNS.
- To change DNS server on your Mac, go to Apple menu > System Preferences
- Click on Network
- Select the network service you are connected to in the list, then click on ‘Advanced’
- Switch to the DNS tab.
- If there’s a lock at the bottom left of the Network pane, click it to unlock the preference pane.
- Click the Add button at the bottom of the DNS servers list. Enter 220.127.116.11 on the first line and 18.104.22.168 on the second line.
- Click on ‘OK’ button, then ‘Apply’
Once the DNS servers have been changed to Google’s public DNS servers as shown above, try to access Disney Plus on your Macbook, and it should be working just fine.
3. Turn Off Ads Blocker & Browser Extensions
Ad blockers are another reason why Disney Plus might not work on your Macbook. If you have an ad blocker like uBlock origin on your Chrome browser, then you need to disable it. Alternatively, you can also turn it off alone for just Disney Plus website.
if you also have any other browser extension that might affect the loading of Disney+ contents on your Mac, disable or remove it from your browser.
Here’s how to do that on Google Chrome and Safari browser on your Macbook:
On Google Chrome:
- Click on the menu button (3 dots at the top right corner of your browser)
- Go to More Tools >> Extensions
- If you find any extension suspicious, click on the Remove button.
On Safari Browser:
- Click on Safari from your top menu bar
- Next, click on Preferences…
- Switch to the Extensions tab
Unless you have added an extension intentionally in the past, your extension list should be empty as seen in the image above.
Otherwise, go ahead and remove any unusual extension on the tab page.
4. Turn Off VPN
Disney Plus does not support the use of VPN. If detected on your Mac, it cause prevent Disney Plus from working. In such cases, you may just see a black screen while trying to access the content library on your Mac book.
This can be VPN in the browser, or VPN used directly on the network router.
You simply need to turn it off. Once done, try to login and stream on Disney+ with your Mac, and it should start loading now.
5. Clear Browsers Cache and Cookies
If you have corrupt cache files still saved on your browser, it may prevent Disney Plus from loading on your Macbook. In that case, you need to simply clear the cache and cookies on your browser.
On Google Chrome:
- Go to Settings > History, or press CTRL + H on your Windows keyboard (CMD + H on MacOS)
- Click on ‘Clear browser data’
Once the cookies and cache files have been cleared, login back to your Disney Plus account on your Macbook Pro or Air and it should be working fine.
This also applies to other Chromium browsers like Firefox, Opera mini, Brave e.t.c.
On Safari Browser:
Follow the procedures below clear your history and cache on Safari browser:
- Click on Safari > Clear History…
- Select a range (preferably All history)
- Click on Clear history
Once done, Disney Plus should start working on your Macbook.
6. Re-login to Disney+ Account
If you logged into your Disney Plus account successfully, but it wasn’t loading when you tried to stream contents, then you need to log out and login back into your account before trying again.
- Log out of your Disney+ account if you are already logged in.
- Visit Disney Plus login page – https://www.disneyplus.com/login
- Enter your email address and click on ‘Continue’
- Then, enter your password and click on ‘Sign in’ button
NOTE: Although some Disney+ subscriptions allow up to 4 different devices, if you have Disney+ signed in on other devices and are actively in use, log out from those other devices or at least make sure they are not being used actively at the same time you are trying to access a content.
You can also sign out other devices on your account dashboard.
7. Check Disney Plus Server
Although not common, Disney Plus streaming server can be down sometimes. In such instances, the issue is a general one from their servers and is not specific to your Macbook. When this happens, you will also see the same issue when you try to access it on your other devices like smart phone, tablet, smart TV, streaming sticks or console.
When this happens, the support team may post an update on their social media handle like the one below.
So, go ahead and check if there’s any such update on their social media handles (Twitter and Facebook).
In other cases, the server could be down and no such update will be posted. So, how do you know in such cases?
There is an online tool you can use to check if Disney Plus server is down (whether globally or only in certain locations). Click here to check it on down detector.
8. Try a Different Browser
If Disney Plus is still not loading on your Macbook, then it may be a browser-specific issue. For example, your IP address might have been blocked or flagged for suspicious login activity.
If you are using any browser other than Chrome, try to access the website using Chrome browser on your PC. If that doesn’t work, try another browser.
Also, check if you have the latest version of your browser on your Macbook, and if not, update the browser to the latest version. You can check if your Chrome browser is up-to-date by clicking on the 3 vertical dots at top right corner > Help > About Chrome.
If it’s not up-to-date, you can download it directly here or on Apple Store.
Once updated, try to access Disney Plus again on your Mac and see if it’s now loading.
9. Update Disney Plus App on Apple Store
This only applies if you are trying to watch Disney Plus on your Mac using the app. If you are trying to access the website instead, you may skip this. However, I will advise you to try using the app if you don’t have it.
Like many software apps, Disney Plus app becomes outdated with time and the team releases new versions usually with improvements while also fixing bugs in the older versions.
Therefore, if Disney Plus is not working on your Macbook Pro or Air, go ahead and update the app on Apple Store.
Once updated, try to login again to your Disney Plus account on the app, and it should start working.
10. Try to Watch Another Show
In some cases, the issue with Disney Plus on your Mac might be specific to a particular show you are trying to watch. Therefore, close the content you are trying to watch and try accessing another content on Disney+ instead.
If you don’t experience any issue while trying to access other contents, then you know it’s specific to the show/movie you are trying to watch. Otherwise, it’s a general issue.
Whichever case it is, there’s only one thing left that you can do.
11. Report to Disney Plus Support
If you’ve followed all the tips above, then Disney Plus should be working on your Macbook now whether you are trying to use the app or access the contents on the website with a web browser.
However, if the issue still persists, then you need to contact Disney Plus to report the issue.
You can contact Disney Plus on their official support/help page here.
If Disney Plus is not working on your Macbook, it can be a network issue, server down-time, browser issue, conflict from the use of VPN, ad blocks or other browser extensions. If you are using the app, you may also have an outdated Disney Plus app on your Max, in which case, you need to update to the latest version from the Apple store.
By following the tips discussed in this guide, you should be able to fix the issue and get Disney+ to start working on your Macbook as soon as possible.
If you found this guide helpful, kindly drop a comment below. Also, let me know which of the tips in this guide helped you fix the issue.